Tonbridge CastleAnytime Orienteering
Course Type: Permanent / Virtual
Terrain type: Parkland & Urban
Near: Tonbridge Lat,Lng: 51.19714,0.27391 Postcode: TN9 1BH What3Words: ///surely.player.sofa
Directions / Parking
Park in Upper Castle Field. Pay and display car parking
Dating back to the Norman Conquest in 1066, Tonbridge Castle is located in the centre of Tonbridge and is managed by Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council. The land surrounding the Castle is flat and low lying, and the courses extend to Haysden Country Park which contains 2 lakes with part of the River Medway running through it.
Map / Terrain
Scale is 1:7,500 so is larger than Ordnance Survey. Map also shows more detail – fences, knolls, depressions, distinctive trees, and uses different colours to aid navigation – yellow is open land, white is runnable woodland, light through to dark green represents woodland that is increasingly difficult to pass through.
Start/Finish location: Steps on the Bailey lawn just outside the Tourist Information and Gift Shop.
|Short Easy||2.1km, 10 controls||Short Results|
|Medium||3.3km, 15 controls||Medium Results|
|Long||4.4km, 16 controls||Long Results|
MapRun Directory PathUK > Find Your Way > FYW Kent > Tonbridge Castle
Castle Visits available. Gift shop sells hot and cold drinks and some snacks. Toilets available. Picnic on the Bailey lawn.
The courses extend into Haysden Country Park which has lots of water features with 2 main lakes, the River Medway, and many other minor water channels. Please take care around the water.
Otherwise there are few hazards other than:
- trip hazards, and uneven ground
- other park users and dogs
- some courses cross minor roads and car parks, look out for moving vehicles
Please note specifically:
- Haysden Country Park is on a flood plain, in times of heavy rain some of the courses may not be accessible due to standing water.
- some of the courses may involve crossing sports pitches and areas used for occasional events. Please go round the edge of these areas if in use.
- Tonbridge Castle occasionally hosts private and ticketed events which may restrict your access to the sites at times. Details can be found by contacting the Castle Tourist Information on telephone number 01732 770929.