Sat 25 Mar 2017
Type of event: Local, Schools
Type of terrain: Forest
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Cranbrook, Kent
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: TN17 2PJ
- Latitude: 51.09981
- Longitude: 0.52732
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be at the High Weald Academy (formerly Angley School) at Cranbrook. The school entrance is off the A229, 1 mile south of its junction with the A262. Once inside the Academy grounds, turn left and follow signs/directions to the designated parking area.
A fee of £1 per car will be charged and donated to Academy funds.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10:30 to 12:00
Start times from 11:00 to 12:30
Courses close 14:00
Five courses available:
Short blue 5.5 km 100 m climb technical
Light green 3.8 km 95 m climb moderate technical
Orange 2.8 km 60 m climb beginner moderate
Yellow 2.2 km 55 m climb beginner easy
There will also be a Score course aimed at adult newcomers. 25 controls of varying difficulty. Find as many as you can in an hour. No penalties if you are late but we only count the controls you find within the hour.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the day only. Please let the organiser know if you are planning to run, especially if you are bringing a large group. This will ensure we have enough maps printed for everyone taking part.
Adults/Family groups £6
British Orienteering members £5
Dibber hire £1
Mixed undulating forest. Some recent felling has taken place. The map has been updated to reflect this up until two weeks before the event. Any further significant felling work will be shown on maps at registration and in the start area. As a result of this work, some of the paths are very muddy.
The good news for those have run at Angley recently is that the previously rapidly growing scrub under the pylons in the south of the map has been cleared as part of the forestry work. This has been left as piles of brashings but crossing the line of pylons is a lot easier than it was before.
Contacts / Officials
Planner/organiser: Alan Hickling
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Insurance: If you have joined an orienteering club, or are competing in one of your first 3 events, then you are covered by our public liability insurance.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.