Betteshanger Country Park Summer Series event
Sun 23 Sep 2018
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Parkland
Pre Event Info
A relaxed event for everyone from newcomers and families wanting to try an orienteering treasure hunt to experienced runners wanting some pre-season training. All welcome.
Nearest town: Deal
- Grid Ref: TR 347 537
- Postcode: CT14 0AS
- Latitude: 51.23629
- Longitude: 1.35737
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Park is located mid-way between Deal and Sandwich on the A258.
Use post code CT14 0BF
Betteshanger parking is £3. There is a numberplate reading system on entry, you just need to pay at the machines before you leave.
Registration & Start Times
The registration tent will be signed from the visitor centre (approx 250m).
Coaching available from 10.15 -11.00
Instructions and safety briefing approx 11.15
Mass start of score event at 11.30
45 and 60 minute 'score' courses. Visit as many of the controls (check points) as you can in the time allowed.
45 min score - simple rules, visit as many controls as you wish, in any order, and be back to the finish within 45 mins.
60 min score - extra rules, controls are in two sets (numbers 40-49 and 50-59) choose one set to start and visit as many as you wish then you must visit the changeover contol (number 31) before moving on the the second set (cannot then return to the first set). Return to the finish within 60 mins, if late you accrue penalty points for eveny minute (or part) you are late back.
Full explanation at the pre-start briefing.
At this series of events we are offering free coaching before the event starts from 10.15-11.00. People wanting to take advantage of this should register close to 10.00 so they can get to the coaching point ready to start the session. Beginners and improvers welcome.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the day only. If possible please let the organiser know if you are coming and if you want to take part in the coaching session so we can print sufficient maps.
Dibber (timing chip) hire £1
If you want to go as a group just one adult needs to register (and add the other names to the form). Initially you get one map and one dibber but if there are spare maps the extra people can have them at no charge.
Coaching is free.
The country park was once the spoil heap for Betteshanger Colliery, it has since been landscaped and replanted with open areas, woods, ponds and unimproved scrub. It is popular with both track and mountain cyclists.
Toilets and cafe in visitor centre.
Dogs under control welcome.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Simon Blanchflower
Planner: Dave Pickup
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Insurance: If you have joined an orienteering club, or are competing in one of your first 3 events, then you are covered by our public liability insurance.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.