Blean Sunday Series
Sun 23 Oct 2016
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Forest
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Faversham
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: ME13 9TX
- Latitude: 51.29897
- Longitude: 0.96087
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Easy access from the M2/A299 near Faversham.We will be using the car park at Mount Ephraim. Follow signs for Mount Ephraim gardens.
Registration & Start Times
EOD Registration: 10-12
Coursess close at 14.30
Courses suitable for all. Provisional course lengths below.
Yellow, beginners easy. 1.7 km
Orange, beginners moderate. 2.7 km
Light green, improvers/experienced orienteers. 3.6 km
Green 4.4 km, blue 5.4 km and brown 7.1 km, experienced orienteers.
There will also be a 60 min Score course available for improvers who are not quite ready to tackle the Light Green course
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Preferably pre-enter on Fabian4 before Thursday 20 October.
Fees: senior BO members on light green to brown courses £7. £2 supplement for non BO members. Seniors on yellow or orange sourses £3. Juniors £3.
EOD entry fees (subject to map availability): seniors on light green to brown courses £9. Seniors on yellow or orange sourses £3. Juniors £3
Seniors and juniors on Score Course £3
Dibber hire £1
Mature runnable woodland with some interesting contour detail and a good path network
Toilets will be available at the car park
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Nick Betts
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Insurance: If you have joined an orienteering club, or are competing in one of your first 3 events, then you are covered by our public liability insurance.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.