Blean Sunday Series
Sun 23 Oct 2016
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Forest
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Faversham
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: ME13 9TX
- Latitude: 51.29897
- Longitude: 0.96087
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Easy access from the M2/A299 near Faversham.We will be using the car park at Mount Ephraim. Follow signs for Mount Ephraim gardens.
Registration & Start Times
EOD Registration: 10-12
Coursess close at 14.30
Courses suitable for all. Provisional course lengths below.
Yellow, beginners easy. 1.7 km
Orange, beginners moderate. 2.7 km
Light green, improvers/experienced orienteers. 3.6 km
Green 4.4 km, blue 5.4 km and brown 7.1 km, experienced orienteers.
There will also be a 60 min Score course available for improvers who are not quite ready to tackle the Light Green course
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Preferably pre-enter on Fabian4 before Thursday 20 October.
Fees: senior BO members on light green to brown courses £7. £2 supplement for non BO members. Seniors on yellow or orange sourses £3. Juniors £3.
EOD entry fees (subject to map availability): seniors on light green to brown courses £9. Seniors on yellow or orange sourses £3. Juniors £3
Seniors and juniors on Score Course £3
Dibber hire £1
Mature runnable woodland with some interesting contour detail and a good path network
Toilets will be available at the car park
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Nick Betts
Health, safety and other important information related to events.
Before travelling to any orienteering event please make sure you are aware of and following government lockdown rules. To enable us to maintain social distancing requirements, we will not be offering coaching to beginners at the start. If you havent tried orienteering before and need guidance please contact our head coach in the first instance.
To ensure that we comply with Government and British Orienteering guidelines and make our events Covid secure and safe for participants and volunteers, all events will be pre-entry and pre-payment only.
During the on-line entry process, you will select your preferred start window from those available for your course. You must then make payment to reserve your start window. Please do not turn up at the event unless you have pre-entered.
On event day turn up for your allocated start slot
Always respect others & social distance even when orienteering
Please move away from the map box after collecting your map.
At control sites do not touch the control, and move through quickly.
Do not congregate at the Finish.
At Download ensure you are drip and spittle free before downloading.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.