Blean Woods ranking Sunday league event
Sun 14 Feb 2016
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Woodland
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Faversham
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: ME13 9JX
- Latitude: 51.30584
- Longitude: 0.95675
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking is in the grounds of Mount Ephraim House (only 10 minutes from the M2). When travelling from the west along the M2 this is best approached by continuing past the end of the M2 (J7) onto the A299 and taking the first left, marked by a brown sign to Farming World. Turn left again to cross over the A299 and then turn right at the T junction to continue into Staplestreet. Before reaching the Three Horseshoes pub turn left (signposted Hernhill Church / Whitstable). After 500m turn right into the grounds of Mount Ephraim. Parking will be 250m on the right.
Closest post code
Registration & Start Times
On the day :10:00 to 12:00hrs (please email in advance so we get map numbers)
10:30 to 12:30hrs
Courses close at :
Electronic punching (SportIdent) will be used.
Six courses will be available following BOF guidelines :
Brown 6.6 km technically difficult for the fit and experienced
Blue 5.1 km technically difficult but shorter
Green 4 km technical but less physical
Light Green 3 km less technical for intermediates
Orange 2.8 km for progression, basic use of compass and some route choice
Yellow 1.9 km basic for beginners and children
Courses subject to confirmation from the controller
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Seniors: £9 (BOF members £7)
Helper discount £2
Dibber hire £1
1:7 500 map with contours 5m. Updated 2016
Blean Wood is a small area of deciduous woodland with some open runnable areas containing a steep-sided valley and stream, making it one of Saxon’s favourite areas.
Unfortunately the Mount Ephraim gardens are closed and so there is not the usual facilities of tea room and toilets.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Nicholas Betts
Planner: Graham Thomas
Controller: Doug Deeks
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.