Hargate Forest, KOL
Sat 19 Nov 2016
Type of event: Local, Schools
Type of terrain: Woodland
Thanks Mel for planning and running the event. The first league tables of the 2016/17 season are now available. Please email any corrections required to
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Tunbridge Wells
- Grid Ref:
- Latitude: 51.11562
- Longitude: 0.24819
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Roadside parking on Broadwater Down near the eastern footpath into Hargate.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10:30 to 12:00
Start times from 11:00 to 12:30
Courses close 14:00
Four courses available:
Short blue 5.7 km technical
Light green 3.3 km moderate technical
Orange 3.0 km beginner moderate
Yellow 2.4 km beginner easy
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the day only. Please let the organiser know if you are planning to run, especially if you are bringing a large group. This will ensure we have enough maps printed for everyone taking part.
Adults/Family groups £6
British Orienteering members £5
Dibber hire £1
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/Planner: Mel Taylor
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Insurance: If you have joined an orienteering club, or are competing in one of your first 3 events, then you are covered by our public liability insurance.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.