Ightham ranking Sunday league event
Sun 28 Feb 2016
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Woodland
Pre Event Info
Planner: Anita Kingdon
Organiser: Mike Perry 07860 795 445
Controller : Jerry Purkis
Nearest town: Sevenoaks
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: TN15 0HB
- Latitude: 51.27734
- Longitude: 0.25683
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking at the Crown Point road, off A25, TN15 0HB. If approaching from the East (A25 from Borough Green) please pass the narrow one-way access at the bottom of the hill and continue up the hill to the wider access (signed). Please share transport where possible - it will make it easier for you and us.
There will also be limited parking for families doing courses up to light green, at St Lawrence Church. Please register at the Crown Point first.
Public Transport options
Sevenoaks station 5 miles
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 9.30 at the Crown Point Inn road off the A25.
Start times from 10am to 12.30pm.
Courses close 2pm.
Courses from Yellow to Brown
Brown 7.9k 225m
Blue 6.0k 215m
Green 4.5k 115m
L Green 3.5k 100m
Orange 2.9k 35m
Yellow 2.1k 30m
There will be one start, an easy 1km walk to the woods west of St Lawrence Church.
Courses yellow, orange and light green will finish close to the start.
Courses green, blue and brown will have a separate finish close to registration.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Online through fabian 4 http://www.fabian4.co.uk/ to midnight Thursday 25. On the day £9 adults, £3 juniors from 9.30am.
Helper discount £2
adults on orange or yellow £5
Ancient woodland with multiple contours and features.
Toilets available at the Crown Point Inn.
The Crown Point offer an excellent carvery, for refreshments after the event. Booking recommended 01732 810669
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.