Ightham Sunday Series event
Sun 28 Apr 2019
This Sunday event has six colour coded courses plus a 60 minute score course to choose from. There is a course suitable for all. Please ask at registration or speak to one of our 'Can I help you volunteers' for advice if you are new to the sport.
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Forest
Pre Event Info
This is one of the events that will be included in a British Orienteering Participant Satisfaction Survey. Participants will be invited to share their views and comments by completing a short questionnaire after the event that should take no more than 8mins to complete.
Nearest town: Borough Green
- Grid Ref: TQ 574 545
- Postcode: TN15 0LW
- Latitude: 51.26759
- Longitude: 0.25390
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Please note we are not using our 'usual' car park for this event. Parking will be in a grassy field at TQ574545 accessed from Stone Street. Coming from the east, at the south of Oldbury Hill drive south from the A25 in the direction of Ivy Hatch and then turn west along Stone Street. From the west drive SE from Seal. Parking will be signed from TQ573548 close to Foxbury Farm buildings. The postcode for Foxbury Farm is TN15 0LW.
There will be a car park charge of £1 per car
Registration & Start Times
Courses close at 14.30
There will be approx 15 minute walk from the car park to the start, mostly on a bridleway but with a short section of road walking.
There will be one start for all courses.
Yellow, orange, light green and score courses will have a finish close to the start. Green, blue and brown courses will have a different finish some way from the start. The shortest route back to the car park from the far start is along a minor road but competitors can also walk back to the start/near finish along a bridleway and from there retrace their steps to the car park if preferred.
Range of colour coded courses from yellow to brown and a 60 minute score course.
Provisional course lenghts subject to final controlling
|Light Green||3.5 k||15|
Yellow course will not cross any roads. Orange and Light Green courses will cross a minor road twice. This crossing will not be manned or 'timed out'. The score course is also likley to cross the minor road, depending on route choice. Please ensure anyone on these courses understands that they need to take care and check for traffic before crossing the road.
Green, Blue and Brown courses will use all four quadrants of the Ightham map. This will involve two 'timed out' road crossings across the A25, which will not be manned, plus crossing of some minor roads. The time taken between the two controls on either side of the A25 will be deducted from the overall time at download.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Pre entry available on Fabian4 now. Pre entry closes on 25 April.
Pre entry fees:
Seniors £8 (plus £2 for non BO members)
Juniors £3 (plus £2 for non BO members)
Entry on the day fees:
as above plus £2.
Group entry only available on the day: £15; each member of the group gets a map
SI dibber hire free
Beautiful runnable woodland with some steep slopes. Plenty of path options.
There will be hot drinks and biscuits available in the Event Shelter in the car parking field. There will be no on-site toilets.
Well behaved dogs under control welcome
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: beryl pring
Planner: Jean Fitzgerald
Controller: Mike Solomon
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Insurance: If you have joined an orienteering club, or are competing in one of your first 3 events, then you are covered by our public liability insurance.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.