Junior Orienteering Festival
Sat 24 Jun 2017
Event organised by DFOK. Details here:
Type of event: Local, Schools
Type of terrain: Parkland, Woodland
Results will be available soon.
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Eynsford
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: DA4 0JF
- Latitude: 51.35291
- Longitude: 0.19078
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Directions to car park:
Lullingstone Country Park, Castle Road, Eynsford. DA4 0JF. GR: TQ 526 638
Off the A225 S of Eynsford.
Full facilities at cafe BUT don’t forget to Pay and Display in the car park. Please don’t park on the narrow approach road to the Centre.
Registration & Start Times
START TIMES from 10.30 am to 11.30am. (There will be no late start times).
Prizes will be awarded after all competitors have completed their courses and after all results have been carefully checked.
There are 4 courses. In order to be competitive for the junior championship, the juniors must choose the correct course for their national curriculum (see table below). Years 3 and 4, familiar with orienteering, may compete on the White Course and there will be medals for these age classes too.
Shadowing is allowed, but the child will then not be eligible for the championship. This is a great opportunity to allow the child to orienteer independently as the area is small and contained, and there will be helpers patrolling the competition area. White and Yellow course competitors may view their map before the start.
|Year 6||Year 6||White|
|Year 7||Year 7||Yellow|
|Year 8||Year 8||Yellow|
|Year 9||Year 9||Orange|
|Year 10||Year 10||Orange|
|Year 11||Year 11||Light green|
|Year 12/13||Year 12/13||Light green|
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
No Entry on the Day
Pre-entry required by 8pm the Wednesday before the event:
Please email your entry to: with the full name of the child(ren), course, age, school year, club, whether dibber is required and whether they intend to be competitive for the Junior Championship.
FEES to be paid on the day at Registration.
£1 BOF members
Sorry, this is a junior only event. Any parents desperate for a run could go round the permanent orienteering course in the park, maps in reception or download from DFOK website.
This is a junior only event in a small area where juniors can feel confident orienteering on their own knowing that they are never too far from the start/finish. There will be adult helpers patrolling the area in distinctive vests, available to assist juniors should they need it. There will also be lots of prizes to be awarded after the event - please bring a picnic to celebrate whilst the results are confirmed. The event is open to all juniors, including those from outside Kent.
Lullingstone Park cafe with toilets.
The Hop Shop, Lullingstone Castle and the Lullingstone Roman Villa are all close by and worth a visit.
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Insurance: If you have joined an orienteering club, or are competing in one of your first 3 events, then you are covered by our public liability insurance.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.