Kent Orienteering League 8: Hemsted Forest
Sat 25 Apr 2020
Type of event: Local
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Benenden
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: TN17 4AN
- Latitude: 51.08261
- Longitude: 0.58834
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Registration & Start Times
<p>Registration from 10:30 to 12:00</p>
<p>Start times from 11:00 to 12:30</p>
<p>Courses close 14:00</p>
<p>Five courses available:</p>
<p>Yellow. Controls (checkpoints) are very easy to find, mostly on main paths, ideal for younger children and complete beginners. </p>
<p>Orange. Moderate, controls are on or near paths with more route choice. Good for progressing juniors and beginner adults who are reasonably confident reading a map. </p>
<p>Light Green: Harder. Controls away from paths giving more challenging navigation. For those with some experience. </p>
<p>Short Blue. As technically hard as we can make it, for experienced orienteers. </p>
<p>Score. No set distance, but a 60 minute time limit and a possible total of 20 controls. Find as many controls as possible in the hour. Good for adult beginners, those progressing from orange to light green, and those that want to be back in a set time.</p>
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
<p>Entry on the day.</p>
<p>Adults: £5 (members of an orienteering club) £7 (non members)</p>
<p>Juniors: £3 (members of an orienteering club) £5 (non members)</p>
<p>Groups: £10 (club members and non members), includes 1 dibber hire.</p>
<p>This price includes loan of electronic timing equipment (aka dibber) if required, and a waterproof map per competitor (yours to keep after the event). Dibbers are expensive and a £35 charge will be due if the dibber is lost.</p>
<p>Juniors can be registered separately, compete in a group containing at least one adult, or be ‘shadowed’. Shadowing is explained below.</p>
<p>Juniors and Shadowing:</p>
<p>Whilst many juniors will initially complete a course as part of a group, some juniors may want to progress to be able to run on their own. We understand that many parents/guardians will want to ensure their child’s safety by completing the course with them, or following a short distance behind. We call this ‘shadowing’ and there is more information here. Parents shadowing juniors will be given an extra map at no charge. The entry fee will be the junior entry fee. Alternatively, juniors are also welcome to compete in twos or threes, and will be entered individually.</p>
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Insurance: If you have joined an orienteering club, or are competing in one of your first 3 events, then you are covered by our public liability insurance.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.