Kent Orienteering League round 2 - Trosley CP
Sat 14 Oct 2017
Photos of the KOL event at Trosley press here
Type of event: Local, Schools
Thanks to everyone to coming to Trosley today. I hope you enjoyed the event. Many thanks to the large number of volunteer helpers.
A note on the results - I've split the score results into two courses. Some people were given an "All controls" map instead of the score course. This meant they had a choice of 34 controls instead of 20.
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Meopham
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: DA13 0SG
- Latitude: 51.32628
- Longitude: 0.34446
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking is at the Trosley Country Park car park off Waterlow Road, Vigo Village, near Wrotham, Kent. DA13 0SG.
£2.50 parking charge from machines. A number plate recognition scheme is in operation, so don't forget to pay.
From the A227, follow the brown country park signs to the main park entrance. Assuming the weather is fine in the week before the event, parking will be in the woodland parking area. Turn left immediately after passing through the entrance gate.
Public Transport options
Nearest station is Borough Green
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10:30 to 12:00
Start times from 11:00 to 12:30
Courses close 14:00
Five courses available:
Short blue technical 5.2 km 130 m climb 17 controls
Light green moderate technical 3.7 km 70 m climb 15 controls
Orange beginner moderate 2.9 km 50 m climb 12 controls
Yellow beginner easy 1.9 km 20 m climb 15 controls
Score find as many controls as you can in one hour; suitable for all
Registration, start and finish will be adjacent to the woodland parking area.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the day only. Please let the organiser know if you are planning to run, especially if you are bringing a large group. This will ensure we have enough maps printed for everyone taking part.
British Orienteering adult members and groups on Light Green and Blue courses £5
Non British Orienteering adults on Light Green and Blue courses £6
Adults on Orange and Yellow courses £2
Adults on Score course £5
Dibber hire £1
Lovely woodland with plenty of paths, and a steep scarp slope.
The Bluebell café will be open serving hot and cold food and drinks.
Toilets are adjacent to the café.
Contacts / Officials
Planner/organiser: Alan Hickling
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.