Kent Orienteering League round 4 - Perry Wood
Sat 9 Dec 2017
Type of event: Local, Schools
Type of terrain: Woodland
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Selling
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: ME13 9RN
- Latitude: 51.26312
- Longitude: 0.92950
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking Will be in the main Perry Wood Car Park (see grid ref - Post code is the nearest residence, which is about 200m away the other side of the crossroad. The Car park is not massive and is used by members of the public, so please park considerately.
If you need driving instructions, please contact the organiser.
Nearest station is Selling on the Faversham to Canterbury East line. Distance to car park is 2.0 km along minor roads.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10:30 to 12:00
Start times from 11:00 to 12:30
Courses close 14:00
Five courses available:
Short blue technical
Light green moderate technical
Orange beginner moderate
Yellow beginner easy
Score find as many controls as you can in one hour; suitable for all
Plus a Christmas themed string course. This is a course designed for younger children. Follow a string through the woods, finding checkpoints along the way. As no map reading is required, it's suitable for all children that can walk.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the day only. Please let the organiser know if you are planning to run, especially if you are bringing a large group. This will ensure we have enough maps printed for everyone taking part.
British Orienteering adult members and groups on Light Green and Blue courses £5
Non British Orienteering adults on Light Green and Blue courses £6
Adults on Orange and Yellow courses £2
Adults on Score course £5
Dibber hire £1
Lovely woodland with nice hills, plenty of paths and surrounded by fields. Good views over Kent from the southern end. Split into 4 sections by country lanes, which will help you relocate if you need to.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Tony Connellan
Organiser: Heather Brown
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Insurance: Please note that if you have competed in three orienteering events registered with British Orienteering and not joined an orienteering club which is a member of British Orienteering then you are not covered by our public liability insurance
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.