Kent Orienteering League round 6 - Kings Wood Challock
Sat 10 Feb 2018
Type of event: Local, Schools
Type of terrain: Forest
Pre Event Info
- Grid Ref: TR 024 499
- Postcode: TN25 4DG
- Latitude: 51.21307
- Longitude: 0.89650
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking is at the main Kings Wood parking area on White Hill in Challock off the A251 Faversham Road. Kings Wood is sign posted from the A252/A251 roundabout in Challock and from the A28 Canterbury to Ashford Road. Nearest postcode TN25 4DG (junction of Faversham Road and White Hill) 500m from car park . Grid Ref: TR027499
Railway stations: Ashford 9km, Canterbury 15km
Please be considerate to other users of the woodland.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10:30 to 12:00
Start times from 11:00 to 12:30
Courses close 14:00
|Light green||Moderate technical||3.6||55||12|
Find as many controls as you can in one
hour. Suitable for all.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the day only. Please let the organiser know if you are planning to run, especially if you are bringing a large group. This will ensure we have enough maps printed for everyone taking part.
British Orienteering adult members and groups on Light Green and Blue courses £5
Non British Orienteering adults on Light Green and Blue courses £6
Adults on Orange and Yellow courses £2
Adults on Score course £5
Dibber hire £1
An extensive well managed forest with chestnut coppice and beautifully runnable areas of mature beech. Newly remapped (summer 2017) after much forestry work so regulars might be pleasantly surprised how some areas have changed, opening up new planning options.
Map is drawn to ISOM2000. No legend on the map though loose copies of the legend will be available from registration.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Graham Denney
Organiser: Alan Hickling
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Insurance: If you have joined an orienteering club, or are competing in one of your first 3 events, then you are covered by our public liability insurance.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.