Kings Wood Challock middle distance race
Sat 7 Oct 2017
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Woodland
Unfortunately control 43 on yellow and orange was vandalised during the event, all affected people have been credited with this control.
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Challock
- Grid Ref: TR 024 500
- Postcode: TN25 4DG
- Latitude: 51.21315
- Longitude: 0.89659
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be in the FC car park at TR 024 500 TN25 4DG. Please be considerate to other users of the woodland.
Registration & Start Times
Assembly/registration will be adjacent to the parking and the start a 1k (15 min) walk away. We plan to have an exciting "stadium finish" in the assembly area
Registration from 12.30-14.00
Courses close at 16.00
Start times are not allocated.
Middle distance event
Final course details
1 - Short Blue, 5.3k, TD5
2 - Short Green, 3.8k, TD5
3 - Light Green, 3.3k, TD4
4 - Orange, 2.3k, TD3
5 - Yellow, 1.8k, TD2
Conventional SI punch system will be used.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
This event is part of the Whitstable Orienteering Weekend (WOW). There will be a £3 discount for competitors entering both events.
Entry in advance on Fabian4 preferred - Closing date 1st October. Conventional SI punch system will be used.
Fees: seniors £7 (plus £2 for non BO members); juniors £3 (no surcharge)
EOD subject to map availability plus £2
Dibber hire (SI) £1.
An extensive well managed forest with chestnut coppice and beautifully runnable areas of mature beech. Newly remapped (summer 2017) after much forestry work so regulars might be pleasantly surprised how some areas have changed, opening up new planning options.
Map is drawn to ISOM2000. No legend on the map though loose copies of the legend will be available from registration.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Nick Betts
Planner: Simon Blanchflower
Controller: Doug Deeks
Health, safety and other important information related to events.
Before travelling to any orienteering event please make sure you are aware of and following government lockdown rules. To enable us to maintain social distancing requirements, we will not be offering coaching to beginners at the start. If you havent tried orienteering before and need guidance please contact our head coach in the first instance.
To ensure that we comply with Government and British Orienteering guidelines and make our events Covid secure and safe for participants and volunteers, all events will be pre-entry and pre-payment only.
During the on-line entry process, you will select your preferred start window from those available for your course. You must then make payment to reserve your start window. Please do not turn up at the event unless you have pre-entered.
On event day turn up for your allocated start slot
Always respect others & social distance even when orienteering
Please move away from the map box after collecting your map.
At control sites do not touch the control, and move through quickly.
Do not congregate at the Finish.
At Download ensure you are drip and spittle free before downloading.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.