KOL 10 - Shorne Country Park
DFOK event (www.dfok.co.uk)
Sat 18 Jun 2022
Full details at www.dfok.co.uk
Entries are open on racesignup.
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Woodland
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Gravesend
- Grid Ref:
- Latitude: 51.40341
- Longitude: 0.41994
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be in advance via Race Signup only.
Starts from 11:00am-12:30pm. 15 minute start window will be selected during online entry process. Please make every effort to arrive at the start for your start window to ensure appropriate social distancing. Courses close at 14:00
Five courses available:
Yellow - Controls (checkpoints) are very easy to find, mostly on main paths, ideal for younger children and complete beginners. Approx distance 1.5 to 2.5 km.
Orange - Moderate, controls are on or near paths with more route choice. Good for progressing juniors and beginner adults who are reasonably confident reading a map. Approx distance 2 to 3 km.
Green - As technically hard as we can make it, for experienced orienteers requiring a shorter run than the blue course. Approx distance 4 to 5 km.
Blue - As technically hard as we can make it, for experienced orienteers. Approx distance 5.5 to 6.5 km.
Score - No set distance, but a 60 minute time limit. Find as many of the 21 controls as possible in one hour. Good for adult beginners, those progressing from orange to green, and those that want to be back in a set time.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Pre-entry through racesignup.co.uk only.
Group (1 senior + 1 junior e.g. a parent & child running together)
Entry Fee: £8.00
Non member supplement: £5.00
Group (2-5 people e.g. family running Score course together)
Entry Fee: £10.00
Non member supplement: £5.00
Juniors are under 21 on 31st December.
Health, safety and other important information related to events.
If you have pre-existing helath issues that you feel the organiser should know about please fill in this medical form.
Before travelling to any orienteering event please make sure you are aware of and following British Orienteering guidelines.
To ensure that we comply with these guidelines and make our events Covid secure and safe for participants and volunteers, all events will be pre-entry and pre-payment only.
During the on-line entry process, you will select your preferred start window from those available for your course. You must then make payment to reserve your start window. Please do not turn up at the event unless you have pre-entered. If you need help with the registration process please contact the event organiser.
On event day turn up for your allocated start slot
Please move away from the map box after collecting your map.
At control sites do not touch the control, and move through quickly.
Do not congregate at the Finish.
At Download please get your breath back and recover before downloading.
Saxons volunteers are very happy to help beginners understand the courses, maps and timing equipment used at our events. To get advice please contact email@example.com at least 3 days before the event, or go to our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/saxons.oc and ask questions there. It may be possible to arrange for somoene to meet you before your start.
For full BO Covid guidance click here
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.