KOL 9 - Knole
Sat 22 May 2021
This event is subject to formal land permission being finalised.
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Parkland, Woodland
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Sevenoaks
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: TN15 0RP
- Latitude: 51.26562
- Longitude: 0.20681
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Five courses available:
Yellow. Controls (checkpoints) are very easy to find, mostly on main paths, ideal for younger children and complete beginners.
Orange. Moderate, controls are on or near paths with more route choice. Good for progressing juniors and beginner adults who are reasonably confident reading a map.
Light Green: Harder. Controls away from paths giving more challenging navigation. For those with some experience.
Short Blue. As technically hard as we can make it, for experienced orienteers.
Score. No set distance, but a 60 minute time limit. Find as many of the 20 controls as possible in one hour. Good for adult beginners, those progressing from orange to light green, and those that want to be back in a set time.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry in advance and for British Orienteering members only. A link will be posted here closer to the date of the event. No entry on the day.
Groups: £10, includes 1 dibber hire.
This price includes loan of electronic timing equipment (aka dibber) if required, and a waterproof map per competitor (yours to keep after the event). Dibbers are expensive and a £35 charge will be due if the dibber is lost.
Health, safety and other important information related to events.
On 12 October a new system of Covid restrictions was introduced which means that local areas in England have been placed in one of three tiers. Anyone taking part in an orienteering event or activity must ensure that they are aware of the local Covid alert level both in their home area and at the intended venue for their activity, and act in line with the restrictions that apply. When travelling to orienteering events, please take into consideration that this may involve travelling into an area in a different tier, and also that tier definitions may change.
To ensure that we comply with Government and British Orienteering guidelines and make our events Covid secure and safe for participants and volunteers, all events will be pre-entry, pre-payment and for Saxons and BO members only.
During the on-line entry process, you will select your preferred start window from those available for your course. You must then make payment to reserve your start window. Please do not turn up at the event unless you have pre-entered.
On event day turn up for your allocated start slot
Always respect others & social distance even when orienteering
Please move away from the map box after collecting your map.
At control sites do not touch the control, and move through quickly.
Do not congregate at the Finish.
At Download ensure you are drip and spittle free before downloading.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.