Kent Orienteering League round 9
Sat 20 May 2017
Type of event: Local, Schools
Type of terrain: Forest
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Sevenoaks
- Grid Ref: TQ 516 524
- Postcode: TN14 6HS
- Latitude: 51.25037
- Longitude: 0.17438
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be on forest tracks. There will be a £1 car park fee. Please share transport if possible. Entrance to the forest will be signed from the Gracious Lane bridge over the A21 at TQ 520 524. The gate is at TQ516 524. Take the A224 into Sevenoaks. Just south of the entrance to Knole Park turn right (Sevenaks Weald and Goathurst Common). Turn right over the A21 (Gracious Lane bridge) then first right. The entrance to the parking area will be on the right.
Public Transport options
Nearest rail is Sevenoaks.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10:30 to 12:00
Start times from 11:00 to 12:30
Courses close 14:00
Five courses available:
Short blue technical
Light green moderate technical
Orange beginner moderate
Yellow beginner easy
Score find as many controls as you can in one hour; suitable for all
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the day only. Please let the organiser know if you are planning to run, especially if you are bringing a large group. This will ensure we have enough maps printed for everyone taking part.
British Orienteering adult members and groups on LG and Blue courses £5
Non BO adults on LG and Blue courses £6
Adults on Orange and Yellow courses £2
Adults on Score course £5
Dibber hire £1
Undulating woodland with some open areas and a stream and lake. Plenty of paths. Only the eastern part of the estate will be used; there will be no road crossings on any course.
We hope to have the Saxons refreshment tent in operation. Otherwise nearest eating is in Sevenoaks. Sorry no loos on site. Again there are public loos in Sevenoaks.
Dogs on leads please
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Jean Fitzgerald
Planner: Mike Solomon
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.