Perry Wood, KOL
Sat 21 Jan 2017
Kent Orienteering League. Courses: yellow, orange, light green & blue with a 1 hour score course suitable for beginners.
Type of event: Local, Schools
Type of terrain: Forest
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Faversham
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: ME13 9RN
- Latitude: 51.26331
- Longitude: 0.92951
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking is at the main Perry Wood Car Park (see above grid ref - Post code is the nearest residence, which is about 200m away the other side of the crossroad. The Car park is not massive and is used by members of the public, so please park considerately.
If you need driving instructions, please contact the organiser.
Nearest station is Selling on the Faversham to Canterbury East line. Distance to car park is 2.0 km along minor roads.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10:30 to 12:00
Start times from 11:00 to 12:30
Courses close 14:00
Four standard courses available:
Short blue technical 5.0 km
Light green moderate technical 3.5 km
Orange beginner moderate 2.5 km
Yellow beginner easy 1.8 km
1 hour score course suitable for beginners.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the day only. Please let the organiser know if you are planning to run, especially if you are bringing a large group. This will ensure we have enough maps printed for everyone taking part.
Adults/Family groups £6
British Orienteering members £5
Dibber hire £1
Perry Wood is a delightful mix of Chestnut coppice, mature non-deciduous trees punctuated with other specimen species that allows for open running in some areas and vegetative fun elsewhere. There is a good path network, which can fluctuate. Contour interest is significant, with the ancient earthwork hill and The Mount visible for miles and ensuring some fun climbs thrown in for the more energetic courses.
No toilet facilities. Tea, coffee and cake available in the Event Tent post race.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/Planner: Alison & Brendon Howe
Health, safety and other important information related to events.
Before travelling to any orienteering event please make sure you are aware of and following government lockdown rules. To enable us to maintain social distancing requirements, we will not be offering coaching to beginners at the start. If you havent tried orienteering before and need guidance please contact our head coach in the first instance.
To ensure that we comply with Government and British Orienteering guidelines and make our events Covid secure and safe for participants and volunteers, all events will be pre-entry and pre-payment only.
During the on-line entry process, you will select your preferred start window from those available for your course. You must then make payment to reserve your start window. Please do not turn up at the event unless you have pre-entered.
On event day turn up for your allocated start slot
Always respect others & social distance even when orienteering
Please move away from the map box after collecting your map.
At control sites do not touch the control, and move through quickly.
Do not congregate at the Finish.
At Download ensure you are drip and spittle free before downloading.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.