Pluckley Bike O
The last of the summer events!
Sat 16 Sep 2017
Type of event: Local, Street
Pre Event Info
This was a 2 hour score event with 20 controls. One control was lonely and had no visitors. All the rest were visited by at least one rider. Congratulations to all the participants for their skill in navigating around the complicated lanes near Pluckley. We reckoned the optimal route around all 20 controls was in the region of 40 miles! And it wasn't flat.
Jean and Mike
Nearest town: Pluckley
- Grid Ref:
- Latitude: 51.15692
- Longitude: 0.74730
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking at Pluckley Station (pay and display)
Public Transport options
Pluckley Railway Station!
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 11.00 to 12.00. Starts from 11.30 to 12.30
2 hour score event suitable for all. Find as many of the 20 controls as possible within the time limit. You will lose points if you are late back. SI electronic timing will be used-bring your dibber to registration if you have one.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
EOD only. Please let the organiser know if you are coming so we can print enough maps
Registration will be in Pluckley Station Car Park. Start and finish will be outside the Dering Arms Pub at TN27 0RR
Helmets are compulsory. If you are not a member of British Mountain Bike Orienteers you will have to pay day membership to cover insurance.
Entry £7 for adults (includes BMBO day membership)
Streets and lanes around Pluckley, Area bounded by A20, A28 and A274. These roads wil be OOB
Pub should be open after your ride until 15.00.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Jean Fitzgerald
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.