Saxons Summer Event 4 at Whinless Down
Sun 5 Sep 2021
Type of event: Local
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Dover
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: CT17 9PT
- Latitude: 51.12559
- Longitude: 1.28602
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Registration & Start Times
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
In advance by Racesignup. Details tbc
Open area on the top of the downs at Dover with great views out over the Channel
Contacts / Officials
organiser: Simon Blanchflower
Health, safety and other important information related to events.
Before travelling to any orienteering event please make sure you are aware of and following government lockdown rules. Normally Saxons volunteers are very happy to help beginners understand the courses, maps and timing equipment on the day at our events. Social distancing requirements for Covid have put a stop to this on the day help for now, but we are very happy to explain things before the event electronically. To get advice please contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least 3 days before the event, or go to our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/saxons.oc and ask questions there.
To ensure that we comply with Government and British Orienteering guidelines and make our events Covid secure and safe for participants and volunteers, all events will be pre-entry and pre-payment only.
During the on-line entry process, you will select your preferred start window from those available for your course. You must then make payment to reserve your start window. Please do not turn up at the event unless you have pre-entered.
On event day turn up for your allocated start slot
Always respect others & social distance even when orienteering
Please move away from the map box after collecting your map.
At control sites do not touch the control, and move through quickly.
Do not congregate at the Finish.
At Download ensure you are drip and spittle free before downloading.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.