Summer Series Mote Park
Sat 24 Jun 2023
Type of event: Local, Social
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Maidstone
- Grid Ref:
- Latitude: 51.26878
- Longitude: 0.53969
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking in the main Mote Park parking area. ME15 7SU. There is a £2 parking charge. We will be using the new overflow car park adjacent to the main car parking area.
Public Transport options
Maidstone East and West railway stations are in walking distance of the area
Registration & Start Times
Starts from 11am - 12.30pm. Mass start for Long Score at 11.15am. Courses close at 12.30pm after which controls will be collected.
Long Score 60 mins
60 minute score. 40s and 50s with compulsory changeover control - start on either set, changeover when you want at control 60 - non scoring. Once changed over no changing back. 10 points per control, 10 points penalty per minute/part minute beyond 60 minutes. Maximum score 200 points.
Short Score 60 mins
60 minute score suitable for all abilities. 20 scoring controls to be be visited in any order 10 points per control, 5 points penalty per minute/part minute beyond 60 minutes. Maximum score 200 points.
Guidance will be available to newcomers and novices before the start.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entries in advance only at RaceSignUp. Entries will close midnight on 23 June.
Seniors (British Orienteering members) £5, Non-members of BO £7.
Juniors & students £3 (BO or non-BO).
Group: £10 (1 dibber; map for each participant) (BO or non-BO).
Dibber loan (non SIAC): Free. SIAC dibber hire:£1.50.
Parkland surrounding a large lake with small pockets of woodland and an interesting path network.
Cafe and toilets can be found in the newly built block adjacent to the car park.
Dogs welcome but to be kept on leads.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Alison Howe
Important Event Information
Health, safety and other important information related to events.
If you have pre-existing helath issues that you feel the organiser should know about please fill in this medical form.
Saxons volunteers are very happy to help beginners understand the courses, maps and timing equipment used at our events. To get advice please contact email@example.com at least 3 days before the event, or go to our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/saxons.oc and ask questions there. It may be possible to arrange for someone to meet you before your start.
Ticks and Lyme Disease: Ticks are common in areas where we go orienteering, more information about ticks.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.