Sunday League event - Ightham
Sun 7 Jan 2018
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Woodland
Results and splits now available. Note that we have credited control 51 where it did not register on the latest style dibbers.
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Borough Green
- Grid Ref: TQ 576 558
- Postcode: TN15 0HB
- Latitude: 51.27841
- Longitude: 0.25665
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be in the large lay-by formed by the old section of the A25 at the Crown Point Inn. There will be limited parking near the start by St Lawrence Church (TQ573552) and possibly in the school car park close by (to be confirmed) for families with children to consider, but note that registration and download will be at the Crown Point Inn.
If travelling from the west leave the M25 at junction 5 following the Sevenoaks signs. Follow the A25 eastwards in the direction of Borough Green. If travelling from the east turn off the M26 at junction 2a and follow directions towards Sevenoaks. Parking is off the A25 on the south side. Event signs will be posted on the A25.
Registration & Start Times
EOD Registration will be adjacent to the car parking area.
Registration 10 am to 12 noon
Courses close at 14.00
Distance from Registration to Start c 1.2 k
Electronic punching (SI) will be used.
There will be six colour coded courses plus a score course (lengths subject to final controlling)
Yellow 2.0 k: for beginners and young children
Orange 2.8 k: for progression
Light Green 3.4 k: less technical and physical than Green
Green 4.6 k: technical for experienced orienteers
Blue 5.8 k: technical for experienced orienteers
Brown 6.8 k: technical for experienced orienteers
Score course: aimed at intermediates - find as many controls as you can within a 60 minute time limit.
There will be two finishes: Yellow, Orange and Light Green will finish near the Start. Green, Blue and Brown will finish c 300 m from the car park
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Pre-entries on Fabian4 before 30 December
Seniors £9 (BO members £7)
Seniors on Yellow or Orange course £3
EOD (subject to map availability)
Seniors on Yellow or Orange £3
Dibber hire £1
Please contact the Organiser to reserve a map if not pre-entering
1:10,000 map with 5 m contours. Updated 2014. Map spec ISOM 2000.
Mature deciduous woodland with a good path network and many point features. All courses apart from Yellow cross a minor road twice. All courses have a short walk along a minor road to the start, and Yellow, Orange and Light Green also return via the same route. Green, Blue and Brown courses have a run along this road as part of the course.
There are no toilet facilities until the Crown Point Inn opens at 11.30. The inn offers teas, coffee and lunches, including a good value carvery.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: richard whitaker
Planner: Jean Fitzgerald
Planner: Mike Solomon
Controller: Jerry Purkis
Safety and Risk: A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Insurance: If you have joined an orienteering club, or are competing in one of your first 3 events, then you are covered by our public liability insurance.
Training and help is available from qualified coaches. Please contact the organiser.
Data Protection: Your personal information provided for this event or obtained from registration databases will be used to process your entry, publish results, check for missing runners and trace missing SI cards.