MembershipHow to join
By becoming a member of SAXONS Orienteering Club you will also become a member of the South East Orienteering Association and British Orienteering – the national governing body for the sport.
Annual membership runs from 1st January to 31st December with renewals starting from 1st November.
How much does membership cost?
The membership fee consists of 3 parts
- Saxons Orienteering Club member fee - A discount of 50% of the 'normal' Saxons membership fee is being offered for 2022 as a 'thank you' to renewing members after the difficult 2021 year, and in recognition that we were not able to organise as many conventional orienteering events during the year.
- South East Orienteering Association member fee - The SEOA fees are collected by British Orienteering and passed to Saxons who then pay them to the SEOA. (Please note, British Orienteering has recently amalgamated the SEOA into the Saxons club fee rather than showing them as 2 separate elements, and now shows the SEOA fee to be £0 on the British Orienteering website.)
- The British Orienteering member fee
|Club||£3 (normal £6)||£6 (normal £12)||£9 (normal £18)|
* Based on 2 adults and 2 juniors (£15 per senior and £5 per junior)
There are 3 membership classes:
- Senior - any member aged 21 or older on 31 December of the membership year
- Junior - any member aged 20 or younger on 31 December of the membership year
- Family - a family must contain at least 2 members, 1 of which must be a senior. There can be a maximum of 2 seniors. All members must be resident at the same address. The total cost of the British Orienteering part of the membership fee depends on the total number of individuals included in the family. e.g. if there are 2 seniors and 2 juniors, the BO cost will be £40, (as shown in the table above). If there were only 2 seniors, the BO cost would be £30. Similarly, if there were 1 senior and 3 juniors, the BO cost would be £30.
Click this link to join now:
Benefits of membership:
New members will receive:
- a free Kent Orienteering League run at a Saxons organised event
- a free Kent Night Cup run at a Saxons organised event
- 10% off first purchase of Saxons Kit
- a free whistle!
Reduced entry fees at most UK orienteering events
At all our events there are experienced orienteers who are happy to advise on any aspect of orienteering. We also offer new members the chance to join the Saxons Buddy Scheme. This is an informal arrangement where newcomers can be matched with a more experienced orienteer to enable them to ask questions about upcoming events, which courses to try, what kit is needed and where to buy it from, and importantly someone to discuss how an event has gone. Analysing what worked well, what didn’t, and what things you can try next time is an important part of how you can improve and get more enjoyment out of Orienteering. You can use your Buddy as little or as much as you want, and can ask to join the Buddy scheme at any time during your first year of membership.
Saxons' Bi-monthly club Newsletter - SaxAlert.
Take part in Club Team competitions and other activities.
Buy Club sportswear
Invitations to Club training sessions and access to club coaches.
- Discounts from national companies through the member discounts scheme (click here for a full list of discounts available)
- The option to sign up for British Orienteering monthly member e-newsletters
- Eligibility to compete in the United Kingdom Orienteering League
- Opportunity to qualify to represent your country at international competitions
- The option to compete in a UK-wide Rankings scheme
- Eligibility to apply for awards under the British Orienteering Badge Scheme
- Access to a ‘Navigational Challenge’ and ‘Racing Challenge’ Incentive Scheme
- Public Liability Insurance when participating in events and activities registered with British Orienteering
- You can vote at the British Orienteering AGM
This takes you to the British Orienteering website to complete the online form. The club and association will be be pre-filled using this link, you just need to add your personal details.